[Samba] Samba cannot contact LDAP server

Carlos Vidal yorugua at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 08:01:48 GMT 2005

samba at lists.samba.org

On 7/26/05, Marcin Giedz <marcin.giedz at eulerhermes.pl> wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 26 lipca 2005 04:53, Alex Ward napisał:
>
> Hello Alex,
>
> Please tell something more about your LDAP configuration - is it working at
> all??? Any logs, configuration, linux distro etc..... Your samba
> configuration for LDAP seems to be OK ;) so please add some additional LDAP
> information.
>
> Marcin
>
> > I'm setting up a PDC using samba 3.0.14a-2 on fedora 4 with Openldap
> > 2.2.23 to authenticate.  Authentication via ldap through the various
> > linux service is working (login, ssh, etc.) via nss.  Thus I know that
> > slapd is running and working properly.  I used smbldap-tools to populate
> > and add test users/groups to the directory, and they worked just fine.
> > But samba, despite being configured correctly, as far as I can tell,
> > cannot even contact LDAP.  slapd is running on the loopback interface
> > and logging everything including packets sent.  I know from the openldap
> > logs that the samba server NEVER contacts the ldap server despite having
> > the correct URI (I can see it in the smbd.log file)

To start testing, turn off SELinux in FC4, as it may be blocking the
communication between Samba and LDAP. Either you do "setenforce 0", or
you edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux, set SELLinux "disabled" and reboot.

It is very helpful also to install "phpldapadmin", a web interface for
LDAP. It is very easy to install and I find it extremely helpful. In
this way you can easily verify if LDAP is running OK and what is going
on with your accounts.

Carlos