[Samba] Synchronization of passwords - ldap and samba

linuxlady linuxlady2714 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 22:05:14 GMT 2005

I've configured a LDAP/Samba server.  I've got password syncing working partly:

-- windows client - users can change their password and pam_smbpass.so
will change the ldap password.

-- LDAP server - user logs on to LDAP server, the ldap password can be
changed and pam_smbpass.so will change the samba password.

Here is the problem.  On the linux client, the user can change his
password using the passwd command, and the user's ldap password will
be changed - but it doesn't seem to change the user's samba password.

On the LDAP Server (SuSE 9.3), I'm using:

/etc/pam.d/passwd
#%PAM-1.0
auth     include        common-auth
account  include        common-account
password include        common-password
session  include        common-session
password required       pam_smbpass.so  use_authtok     use_first_pass

/etc/samba/smb.conf
ldap password sync = yes

How can I get password syncing to work from both the linux and windows clients?

The linux client is running ubuntu.

Yasi