[Samba] Remote shutdown+poweroff of W2K server

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Mon Jul 25 21:18:19 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> It's probably just a flag we are missing in the
> 'net rpc shutdown'request.  Do you have a windows tool
> that will do the rmeote shutdown and power off correctly ?
> Could you send me an ethereal trace of that ?  Or tell
> me which tool to use in testing.

 From Windows XP Pro (SP1):

C:\>shutdown.exe
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t
xx] [-c "c
omment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

        No args                 Display this message (same as -?)
        -i                      Display GUI interface, must be the first
option
        -l                      Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
        -s                      Shutdown the computer
        -r                      Shutdown and restart the computer
        -a                      Abort a system shutdown
        -m \\computername       Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
        -t xx                   Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
        -c "comment"            Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
        -f                      Forces running applications to close
without warning
        -d [u][p]:xx:yy         The reason code for the shutdown
                                u is the user code
                                p is a planned shutdown code
                                xx is the major reason code (positive
integer less than 256)