[Samba] Domain Logons Setting and Winbind

Kyle Harris kharris at trcintl.com
Mon Jul 25 20:57:46 GMT 2005

I have a problem with the domain logons setting in Samba and winbind.
Basically if I set domain logons = Yes, my XP clients are able to join
the domain (call it domain XYZ).  However, with domain logons = yes,
winbind -u returns "Error looking up domain users".  If I set domain
logons = no, wbinfo -u returns my domain users, however XP clients are
not able to join the domain.  They receive an error stating "The
specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".  I
need both options to work at the same time.

It is probably worth noting that my workgroup = ABC in the smb.conf and
the Samba 3.0.14a machine is joined to an active directory domain named
XYZ.  This is per a recommendation from an earlier post.

Why can I not get both functions to work at the same time?

Thanks to all in advance.