[Samba] unified windows + login authentication

Chicago Boy chicagoboy12001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 19:44:37 GMT 2005

Hello,

Problem description: Provide a common
username/password
for Linux and Windows machines.

Current situation:

I am using NIS and samba PDC to provide unified login
access for windows and Linux machines. With this
implementation, all most all our requirements are met
but an important essential requirement. When users
change password using passwd command,
windows password 'doesn't' get updated. When users
change password in Windows, Unix password 'does' get
updated. How to update windows password when unix
password is changed?.

Creating an alias passwd for "smbpasswd -r PDC" doesnt
solve all the problems. Users' account passwords are
expired when they were first created. So, users are
forced to change password on first login. They might
log in via ssh or on console. passwd program is not
used by either of them. So, creating an alias doesn't
work. We need one at lower level like PAM. Any help on
how this requirement can be met is appreciated.

Thanks,
Raj