[Samba] Strategy for tuning so_sndbuf and so_rcvbuf

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 11:29:45 GMT 2005

Are there any tried and true strategies for  tuning so_sndbuf and so_rcvbuf
settings?

In my particular application --  using a Samba server for video editing -- we
have seen significant differences  in performance when we changes these
values. For instance, we need to set  so_rcvbuf higher than the value you ALWAYS
see in people's smb.conf file.

But is there a logical and accurate method for determining what are the  best
settings on a particular system?

And can anyone say with certainty  how the following factors would interact
with the buffer settings:

--  amount of RAM in the system
-- amount of data (MB/sec) being read from or  written to a fast RAID
subsystem
-- number of SMB clients connecting to the  system simultaneously
-- amount of data (MB/sec) being sent to or received  from each client

Thanks for any suggestions

Andy Liebman