[Samba] Hints about large network!

Sensei senseiwa at tin.it
Fri Jul 22 19:42:54 GMT 2005

Hi.

In few weeks I'm planning to set up a windows network over our
departmental net. I need some advices, suggestions about what you
would do. We're in front of a large network. I'm expecting having 50+
+ computers logging in the windows domain, many different users.
Servers will be just unix (linux mainly, and aix/bsd for experiments
only)

The underlying structure is really simple. All clients (aix, bsd,
linux, macosx) are authenticating over our kerberos realm (linux
kdcs). User informations are on ldap (home, shell, gid, uid,
additional gids...), no password since ldap uses kerberos via gssapi.
File serving is provided by AFS. All users have their home in /afs/
cell.name/users/INITIAL/username, no local users. It works perfectly.

Now, I'd like to add windows clients. Since they cannot authenticate
over MIT using AFS and LDAP, I'm working with samba. Before starting
from the wrong assumptions, I'd appreciate some suggestions. This is
my plan for windows.

-Since we have a realm CELL.NAME, I'd use a workgroup: WIN.CELL.NAME
-Netbios name for pdc should be the same as in the dns: SMB.CELL.NAME
-We have NO ldap passwords: tbsam.

I have some concerns. What I'd really like is probably not good.

- Passwords. We're using kerberos... Any change to samba should be
redirected to kerberos. Anyone doing some tricks here?

- Home directories. The logon home should be \\AFS\CELL.NAME\users
\initial\%U --- quite weird for windows. Moreover, this creates some
directories in the unix space (users and settings\user, with desktop
& co).

- Profiles. Is it a good idea to store profiles in each user's home?

I'm confused, ms-network makes more difficulties than solving
problems, but I have to do that...

Can you give me some impressions? Add that I'd like to add a BDC...
Any suggestion is really appreciated. I want to plan better before
rather than complainig after :)

Thanks!

--
Sensei <senseiwa at tin.it>