[Samba] can't join to a domain... can_add_account is returning false

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Jul 22 19:16:35 GMT 2005

I have just set up a domain and am trying to join a machine to it.
When i watch the log i see

[2005/07/22 14:56:26, 5]
rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2311)
  _samr_create_user:  can add this account : False
Error: modifications require authentication
at /usr/share/perl5/smbldap_tools.pm line 892, <DATA> line 283.
[2005/07/22 14:56:28, 0]
rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2324)
  _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w
"newt$"' gave 127

so for some reason my account (root) is not passing the can_add_account
test and the add user script is not being run as root.

I don't know why since root is a member of the correct groups

#groups root
root : Domain Admins Administrators

I've also tried it with "Administrator" who is a member of the same
groups

This is with the ldapsam backend for samba and libnss_ldap for linux.

I thought I'd ask while I wait for samba to compile with my debugging in
there...

What did I do wrong?

brad