[Samba] Samba, DFS and Junction Points

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 15:35:05 GMT 2005

Hi Samba List,

I believe I need to  create a "Junction Point" on a Windows XP Pro machine
that will seamlessly link  up to a Samba Share on a Linux Server.

>From my understanding, the  creation of a "Junction Point" will hide from an
application the fact that the  "space referenced by that junction point" is
actually located someplace else.

While it is possible to create an "NTFS Junction Point" in Windows that
links up to a completely separate local drive (that is, a drive connected to the
same Windows XP Pro machine), it is NOT possible to create an "NTFS Junction
Point" that links up to a network share.

But it seems it IS possible to  create a "DFS Junction Point" inside Windows
that links up to a Samba Share. Is  that true?

If so, will Windows applications truly not know that the  storage space is on
a network drive? And if so, can anybody recommend a  straightforward "how-to"
on setting up DFS on the Samba side?

Your  thoughts would be appreciated

Andy Liebman