[Samba] Executable 'username map'

Arnold.O.Andrews at seagate.com Arnold.O.Andrews at seagate.com
Fri Jul 22 13:02:25 GMT 2005

> ----- Message from François LAUPRETRE <francois.laupretre at calyon.
> com> on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:29:36 +0000 (UTC) -----

> samba at lists.samba.org

> [Samba] Executable 'username map'
>
> Hi,
>
> I currently manage an environment where my Unix and Windows usernames are

> defined, but different. So, I must use a username map. But I have
> several Samba
> servers (one for each NFS package) and I must maintain all these username
map
> files. As we want everybody to map the same way on every Samba
> servers in a NIS
> domain, we added the 'Windows user' information to the NIS 'passwd' map
(by
> adding a string like '<win=xxx>' to the gecos field).
>
> Now, as the only way for Samba to get this mapping information is through
> flat file, I have to push this file onto every samba server every
> time I build
> the NIS passwd map. And, in order to do that, I must maintain a listof
these
> servers on the NIS master server (assuming a standard path for storing
this
> file on each samba server).

Seems like a lot of trouble to maintain all those separate username map
files.  Why not just use a single copy of the file and nfs mount it via
automounting so that all your Samba servers read the same file, then you
only have to update a single file and all your Samba servers see the
changes immediately.  No push necessary.

Regards,

Arnold Andrews
Sr. Systems Administrator
Seagate Technology