[Samba] migrate existing Unix password to sambapassword

Taolizhong a12zengl at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 21:43:35 GMT 2005

>> Our existing Unix system has more than 500 users.
The system
currently
>> uses OpenLDAP to authenticate users. We just added
dozens of PCs
running
>> Windows to the network. We are going to set up the
existing Unix
server
>> as a samba PDC server such that the users can log
onto either their
Unix
>> account or Windows account. It seems a good idea to
allow the users
have
>> the same password for their new Windows account as
that for their
>> existing Unix account. I wonder if there is any way
to accomplish
this,
>> especially automatically.
>>

>Since you are already usng OpenLDAP to authenticate
your Unix users,
you
>can also use it to authenticate your Windows users.
Since they will
then
>be authenticating from the same database, you won't
have to worry
about
>password sync. This is covered in the Samba HOWTO.

Thanks,Dwight. But the password entries for the Unix
account and Windows account of a user are different
(userPassword, SambaNTPassword). According to
Paul Gienger's reply (thx Paul too), it seems that it
is impossible to populate users' SambaNTPassword with
the same value of their UserPassword.

Considering we have more than 500 users, I still
wonder if there is a way I can populate their Samba
entries automatically and quickly -- even the value of
SambaPasword is set to be temporary and is different
from the correpsonding userPassword. smbpasswd command
seems only can be used at interactive mode.

Thanks,

--Lingtao