[Samba] Print configuration question?

Derek Harkness dharknes at umd.umich.edu
Thu Jul 21 19:38:22 GMT 2005

Is it better to setup lots of small print servers or one big print
server?

I've currently got 1 print server serving up about 55 printers.  All
the server does is Samba and CUPS the box has 2 2.8gig P4 xeon, 2
gigs of RAM and a load average of 3.  Which is way to high since
users are complaining about slow print performance.  I went with this
solution because I didn't like the idea of having 2,3, or 4 servers
just for printing but now I'm wondering if having multiple boxes
isn't the better solution.  The other thought I had was splitting the
box by moving cups to it own server.

Any opinions,
Derek