[Samba] migrate existing Unix password to sambapassword

Dwight Tovey dtovey at emergecore.com
Thu Jul 21 16:26:02 GMT 2005

Taolizhong said:
> Hello --
>
> Our existing Unix system has more than 500 users. The system currently
> uses OpenLDAP to authenticate users. We just added dozens of PCs running
> Windows to the network.  We are going to set up the existing Unix server
> as a samba PDC server such that the users can log onto either their Unix
> account or Windows account. It seems a good idea to allow the users have
> the same password for their new Windows account as that for their
> existing Unix account. I wonder if there is any way to accomplish this,
> especially automatically.

Since you are already usng OpenLDAP to authenticate your Unix users, you
can also use it to authenticate your Windows users.  Since they will then
be authenticating from the same database, you won't have to worry about
password sync.  This is covered in the Samba HOWTO.

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey
email: dtovey at emergecore.com
---------
Work to Live : Live to Ride : Ride to Work