[Samba] Samba / Ldap / Unix / Sendmail passwords when changing via windows client.

Neil Marjoram n.marjoram at adastral.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 10:24:24 GMT 2005

I have just installed RHEL 4 with Samba 3.0.10 and samba tools 0.9.1.1.
All works very well until a user changes the password using a windows
client.

All the correct changes occur in ldap and everything looks fine, the
user can login with the new password to windows and unix, the problem is
they can no longer send mail via smtp-auth. It seems that sendmail does
not accept the new hash method used to encrypt the new unix password by
samba (smd5). If you use the smbldap-passwd script to change the
password again on the command line the password changes back to md5crypt
and all is well again.

I read that samba encrypts the new password in the same manner as the
old password, but this does not seem to be the case.

Is there anyway of forcing samba to encrypt the password in a set manner?

Many thanks,

Neil.

--
Neil Marjoram