[Samba] Samba and permissions question

Paul Boot unix4hcp at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 10:04:45 GMT 2005

Hi

I am running Samba 3.0.14a on a Solaris box and want to permit users to set file permissions to 755 in their home directories as there is a lot of collaborative work involved in our products. I would have thought this should work in my smb.conf file. The smb.conf is live and running version and works fine through testparm....

[homes]
path=/home/%u
browsable = no
read only = no
create mask = 0666
force create mode = 0664
directory mask = 0775

However if I create MS Word file and save to my test dir on Unix home. I get a file with these perms...

drwxrwxrwx   2 paul     computer    1024 Jul 21 11:00 .
drwxrwxrwx 107 paul     computer   29696 Jul 20 14:44 ..
-rwx------   1 paul     computer   24064 Jul 21 10:59 July2005.doc

I am not sure what else I can turn on to fix this. Yes I could run a Unix cron to go round "resetting" perms but I have a complex directory structure here, maybe 10000 dirs, and I do not feel this is going to be the solution.

Thanks in advance

Paul