[Samba] My first LDAP PDC - Win2k Profiles, redirection and guest accounts

Paul Henry samba.user at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 09:18:06 GMT 2005

Dear List,

This is my first post here, but yesterday I finally configured a full
PDC with LDAP backend using Chapters 4 and 5 of the Samba Guide (exact
same directory and shares setups just now). Very well written!

I am slowly getting the other things like printing and DNS added, but
I wanted to confirm/ask a few things.

When I first logged on I got complaints about not being able to create
the *.pds and using a local profile only, so I moved from the Samba
Guide to the Samba Howtos and read that the profiles need to be
browseable.

So I "su -" to a user and checked I could even get into my profile
folder in the server, and I couldn't. I couldn't even get into
/var/lib/samba.

I have changed /var/lib/samba to 755 and profiles to 755 too. Is this right?

My profiles are now working, but I am not sure if I have opened up
things that I shouldn't have.

At no point in the Samba Guide does is say what the permissions should
be for profiles, so I guess this is only a Win2k issue?

Also, can you point me to some documentation on guest account logins
for the domain, so they can get onto the computer with a default guest
profile? I go have a look in the Howto Online book again first though.

Also, how does redirection work on Win2k, as I could only see
instructions for XP and it looks like all the folders etc. have been
saved in "profiles" rather than profdata obviously.

Lastly, my logon.bat which sets the time and maps the app folder to I
doesn't work. I saw yesterday that I might needs "scripts/logon.bat",
but that doesn't work. I also made sure that it is in dos format using
dos2unix (a perl oneliner actually).

Thanks for your time,

Paul.