[Samba] Server migration and software upgrade Suse 7.3/Samba 3 to Suse 9.3/Samba 3

NovusOrdo novusordo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 20:56:25 GMT 2005

I currently have a Samba 2.2.7a Domain running on Suse 7.3 that needs
to be replaced. The machine that will take its place runs Samba 3 on
Suse 9.3. The only docs I've seen so far covering migration have been
from NT4 to Samba not Samba to Samba and the upgrade docs only cover
same machine upgrades. It is possible that all clients be disconnected
for this migration.

I was planning on copying the shared files, machine.sid, smb.passwd,
/etc/password, and smb.conf then matching the old IP address. I
thought the Samba HOWTO docs BDC approach for migrating from NT4 might
work but it seems to be missing something. The last thing i want to do
is have to build the PDC from scratch, touch each workstation to
connect it to the new domain as the applications (Creative Solutions
Accounting, UltraTax and ProSeries) are very touchy.

Any help in making this run smoothly is greatly appreciated.