[Samba] Painless migration from 2.2.x on old server to 3.0.x on newserver needed ASAP

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Tue Jul 19 20:47:41 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:

>On Tuesday 19 July 2005 13:50, Chris wrote:
>

>>>The new question is ... how does one convert from smbpasswd totdbsam?
>>>

>In your smb.conf [global] set:
>
>	passdb backend = tdbsam smbpasswd
>
>Then execute:
>
>	pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam
>
>Then edit smb.conf to:
>
>	passdb backend = tdbsam
>
>Then prove that it worked by executing:
>
>	pdbedit -Lw
>
>All accounts should be listed.
>
>- John T.

I know this doesn't apply in Chris's case, since he's already set up
with domain security (as a domain controller), but I just wanted to warn
everyone reading this who might be contemplating an upgrade to make sure
your server is in domain mode BEFORE migrating from smbpasswd to
tdbdsam. (I do not know the implications of migrating from server A in
tdbsam to server B in tdbsam.) Otherwise, you might end up with some
verrrrrrry strange browsing and authentication problems. I know I sure
did. :-)

The problems are a product of the "user logon domain" being set to the
server's NetBIOS name instead of the domain's NetBIOS name in tdbsam.

Of course, that can be fixed by migrating from tdbsam to smbpasswd then
back, following the above example. Many thanks to JHT for pointing this
simple fix out to me.

--Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.