[Samba] Painless migration from 2.2.x on old server to 3.0.x on newserver needed ASAP

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Tue Jul 19 19:45:33 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 03:28 pm, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> On 7/19/05, Larry McElderry <larry at ptcoupling.com> wrote:
> > Check out chapter 8 of Terpstra's Samba by Example.
> > http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html
>
> Chris, print & read the previously mentioned link.

Thanks guys, and to JT as well who offered some help earlier.

I did finally get it all to work using a combination of info from the NT
migration and the Samba 2.2.x upgrade areas.

None to soon as the old server finally really toasted.

A bunch of files were in different places but going from a SuSE
7.3/Samba 2.2.x to Gentoo/Samba 3.0.x that was to be expected. Only
thing I didn't get a chance to grab was the printer drivers so i had to
reload those.

Was worried about losing the domain/user profiles and info but it all
worked out OK - even though the server has a different name (as long as
you set the SID the DNS and NetBIOS names can change).

The new question is ... how does one convert from smbpasswd to tdbsam?

Chris