[Samba] Painless migration from 2.2.x on old server to 3.0.x on newserver needed ASAP

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:28:01 GMT 2005

On 7/19/05, Larry McElderry <larry at ptcoupling.com> wrote:
> Check out chapter 8 of Terpstra's Samba by Example.
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html

Chris, print & read the previously mentioned link.

Make an upgrade checklist, and be ready to rollback to your current
config if the migration fails - I had problems with printer shares the
first time I tried this.  This may mean migrating to a new box while
using your current config & Samba version depending on the severity of
the PDC's previously mentioned hardware problems.

I would also suggest testing at least 1 login from each smb user group
to make sure profiles are working correctly.  I had 2 administrative
users (1 XP, 1 on W2K) that received new local profiles the first time
they logged in after upgrading.  I worked around this by rebooting
those boxes to free file handles & overwriting the new profiles with
the former versions before authenticating to the PDC a second time.
This might have been unnecessary if I had done things correctly with
regard to parameter changes between the versions.

Some details of my 2.2.8a upgrade to 3.05 here:
http://www.plug.org/pipermail/plug/2004-August/006218.html

I think you'll find the migration easier than you anticipated.
--
Lars