[Samba] 3.0.14a and Windows 2K3 SP1

Owen Campbell owen at empiria.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 09:28:29 GMT 2005

I have a number of machines running samba on Fedora 3 as member servers
of a windows domain. They authenticate with Active Directory on the
Windows PDC (Windows Server 2003 as part of Small Business Server 2003)
and provide file and print sharing services. All has been working
perfectly for months.

When I applied SP1 for Windows Server 2003, authentication stopped
working. This turned out to be a known problem at samba and I solved it
by upgrading samba to 3.0.14a.

Authentication now works perfectly as does printing. I can see the
shares on the samba machine from a windows pc and I can read and delete
files in those shares.

Unfortunately, any time I try to create a file in a samba share from a
windows machine, I get a 'specified network name is no longer available
error.' Two (zero length) files are created, which I can then update and
delete. Copying fails completely because of the error.

Anybody have any clues as to where I might start on solving this one?

Many thanks.