[Samba] NT4 migration errors

Kevin B kevin1a at varlog.net
Mon Jul 18 05:09:12 GMT 2005

> Kevin B wrote:
>> Geoff kindly replied...
>

>> It also looks like the /home directoy has everyones $HOME but the uid
>> and gid for each user is numeric instead of resolving  the username
>> and groupname [same as before btw].
>>
>> Thanks for the help Geoff.
>> If you have any more ideas let me know :]
>>
>> Kevin
>>

>> net rpc vampire -S nt4 -W DOMAIN
>> Fetching DOMAIN database
>> Creating unix group: 'Domain Admins'
>> /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd: group Domain Admins exists
>> [2005/07/14 14:27:20, 0] groupdb/mapping.c:smb_create_group(978)
>>   smb_create_group: Running the command
>> `/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd 'Domain Admins'' gave 6 Creating
>> unix group: 'Domain Users' /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd: group
>>   Domain Users exists [2005/07/14 14:27:20, 0]
>> groupdb/mapping.c:smb_create_group(978) smb_create_group: Running the
>> command `/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd 'Domain Users'' gave 6
>>   Creating unix group: 'Domain Guests'
>> /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd: group Domain Guests exists
>> [2005/07/14 14:27:21, 0] groupdb/mapping.c:smb_create_group(978)
>> smb_create_group: Running the command
>> `/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd 'Domain Guests'' gave 6 Creating
>> unix group: 'Sales'
>> Creating unix group: 'Accounting'
>> Creating account: Administrator
>> Could not create posix account info for 'Administrator'
>
> You need to revisit:
>
> http://au1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#sbehap-PAM-NSS
>
> Your systems ability to resolve posix info is hosed or not set up
> properly.
>
> Geoff

Hi

Thanks for the help.
I was confinced it was PAM related.
I found my slap.conf was config'd like my standalone domain controller,
or the wrong/old doc's [too late to research that] the samples at the bottom.
We migrated users and groups tonight in the lab :)

Question...

In Chapter 9, it says to leave smbd off untill after shutting down the PDC
and BDCs -but- the smbldap-tools ./configure.pl script complains if it's
not running.
I start it and then stop it immediatly after running ./configure.pl.
Does the documentation need updating??  It seems this method is ok.

Thanks for the help.
Kevin

### Incorrect ######
# Indices to maintain for this database
#index objectClass                       eq,pres
#index ou,cn,mail,surname,givenname      eq,pres,sub
#index uidNumber,gidNumber,loginShell    eq,pres
#index uid,memberUid,displayName         eq,pres,sub
#index nisMapName,nisMapEntry            eq,pres,sub
#index   sambaSID                eq
#index   sambaPrimaryGroupSID    eq
#index   sambaDomainName         eq
#index   default                 sub