[Samba] Adding samba users via a script

Matt Easton matthew at sublunar.com
Sun Jul 17 18:23:57 GMT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 5:28 PM, jools wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a script that I wish to implement for adding users and samba
> users in
> bulk. I'm running Samba 3.0.13 on Mandriva LE2005 although the script
> dates
> back to samba 2 days.
>
> The script works by reading the user's name, password and group from a
> text
> file, first generating Unix user accounts and then running:
>
> /usr/bin/smbpasswd -a -s $user $pwd > /dev/null
>
> to add the smb accounts. The -s switch should allow the Samba password
> pulled from stdin instead of a prompt but the scipt just exits at the
> point
> of attempting the creation of the first Samba account . Is there any
> difference between Samba 2 and Samba 3 that would explain this?

On my RedHat ES 3 system, running 3.09 or so I recall,  smbpasswd -s
means silent, but it still expects the password confirmation. Perhaps
you could make a here document

#!/bin/bash

#create unix user
/usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false (etc,etc) -p $password $user

#create samba user
/usr/bin/smbpasswd -a -s $user <<LimitString
    echo $password
    echo $password
    LimitString