[Samba] Running SMB protocol on a web server - Secure or not?

SCOTT BARRIE scott.barrie at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 17 11:55:34 GMT 2005

We have a persistent request from web developers to install samba on web servers (Solaris 8\Apache) located in our DMZ to enable them to view log files and data etc from their XP desktops in real time...they do not have Unix Accounts in Production.
I've been led to believe that installing samba on a web server seriously compromises security and those responsible for the firewall in the DMZ agree.
The problem is I'm having difficulty finding up to date information to present a case either to refuse or grant permission for this request.
Any opinions or links to related papers more than welcome.
Thanks for your time
Scott