[Samba] after upgrade from 3.0.7 -> 3.0.14 extrem slow access from window s 2000

Karasavvidis Stefanos sk at isc.tuc.gr
Sat Jul 16 13:12:12 GMT 2005

Hello list,

a samba server serves the home directories for about 100 Windows 2000
clients.

We had samba 3.0.7 (on debian woody) installed, and upgraded to 3.0.14a (we
used the sernet packages on debian sarge).

Now access to files from windows 2000 clients is extremely slow, especially
on .exe files. Simply selecting a exe file from windows explorer may freeze
it for 2-10 seconds. Other file types are not affected that much, although
their access is slow, too.

We have also some XP workstations, and they work just fine!

I have disabled antivirus on the clients with no change, although this
seemed for me to be the root cause.

As a side note, roaming profiles do not work either on windows 2000, whereas
on winXP there is no problem! I saw a description of this problem but this
affected SP2 on windows 2000, and it did require to disable acl support for
the profile share..
Our windows clients have all service packs and hotfixes installed.

Help?!

Stefanos Karasavvidis