[Samba] Windows File Permissions

Ryan Kather RDKath at Roushind.com
Fri Jul 15 19:46:07 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I just have a couple of questions.  One is related to Samba specifically the second deals with Windows Networking, RSYNC, and Linux in general.  I have asked it in the RSYNC mailing list, but so far no one has provided any insight.

I apologize if anyone has gone over this information.  I have been unable to find much help in the mailing list archives, IRC, or the documentation.

To the point.

Question #1:  Does anyone know if a Samba PDC can provide Shared ACLs to NAS devices that join a domain as a member (such as a NetApp Filer with DataOnTap 7)?  If I have a domain member with a CIFS share can I control access to it's shares centrally against Samba user authentication?

Question #2:  If I mount a windows share with the samba client mount -t smbfs, is there a way to see the Windows filesystem rights, and better yet can these rights be clone with RSYNC to another Windows share?

I hope I wasn't too quickly to the point.  If anyone thinks they may have an answer, but would like more background information I can provide.  Thank you kindly for any information that you can provide.

Regards,
Ryan