[Samba] Samba PDC - Samba Member Server

HK thelistbox at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 18:57:22 GMT 2005

--- HK <thelistbox at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The configuration I'm trying to use is a SAMBA PDC with a SAMBA Member Server,
> using
> tdbsam. Binaries for SuSE 9.3 from the samba web page, version
> 3.0.14a-4.1.i586.rpm.
> This is SuSE 9.3 Pro with patches and kernel up-to-date thru 20050708. I need to
> use
> Samba 3.0.14a because in production the Samba PDC will have to work with several
> Samba member servers and 3 Windows 2003 member servers. (Vendor software, no
> choice.)
>
> Connections from WinXP SP2 to the PDC work fine with access to shares on the PDC
> as
> expected.
>
> Trying to use the shares on the member server fails completely. I've been using
> SBE
> and TOSHARG pdfs as references. I guess I've overlooked something.
>
> On the Member Server:
> wbinfo -t ;works
> wbinfo -u ;works
> wbinfo -g ;works
> smbclient //member/share1 -Umyuser%thepassword fails with
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> On the SAMBA PDC:
> smbclient //pdcname/share2 -Umyuser%thepassword works.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Hudson

OK have more info.
On the member server:
getent passwd and getent group fail to return the Domain Users and Domain Groups.

Do I have something wrong in nsswitch.conf:

 /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#       compat                  Use compatibility setup
#       nisplus                 Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#       nis                     Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#       dns                     Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#       files                   Use the local files
#       db                      Use the /var/db databases
#       [NOTFOUND=return]       Stop searching if not found so far
#
# For more information, please read the nsswitch.conf.5 manual page.
#

# passwd: files nis
# shadow: files nis
# group:  files nis