[Samba] Laptop and local vs roaming profiles/users

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Jul 15 13:19:51 GMT 2005

> When a notebook joins a domain, it creates a new (roaming) profile for
> the domain user. XP sees this user (Domain\User) as someone different
> from the local user (Hostname\User) which existed before.
>
> Is there a way to reconcile these two personalities, while keeping the
> profile as roaming, so the user can both use different computers in the
> domain with his roaming profile, and also use the laptop when not
> connected to the domain?

If you're asking if there's any way that they can use the same profile
space, no.  And why would you want to?

If you're going on the assumption that once you disconnect from the network
you lose any ability to log in as domain\user, I suggest you try it.  Unless
you use the 'delete the local copy of the profile on logout' method, you'll
be fine.

It should be noted however that this brings up a problem with roaming
profiles on semi-connected machines.  When you are offline and go about
changing things, certain (and I can't be more specific really) things will
be copied from the server and overwrite your offline changes as soon as you
login on the network and it tries to refresh your profile from the server
copy.