[Samba] Missing Groups (from LDAP?)

Ade Fewings iss03c at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 08:50:31 GMT 2005

Hi all,

We have a working 3.0.9 installation here, but I am unable to build any
version now that will correctly.

The problem seems to be that samba is unable to pickup the groups of a
user.  We are using an LDAP backend.  It all works fine on 3.0.9, but
not on 3.0.14a2 or 3.0.20p1.  Here's the test/example data:

The OS knows the groups from NIS:

jurassic:42>id -a iss03c
uid=13460(iss03c) gid=201(is)
groups=682(sudo),1195(cisco),815(dhcp),1233(issysnet)

Samba can't see them:

jurassic:43>./net user info iss03c
Password:

<no output>

In nsswitch.conf:

group:      files nis

smb.conf is the same as that for a working configuration, except for
being a different workgroup.

I have a verbose log.smbd output for the duration of the 'net user
info', if that would help.

At the moment, I'm principally thinking of what the 'gotchas' can be
that are causing me this problem, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ade