[Samba] smbclient seems dead

Ron iampure at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:02:13 GMT 2005

Hi everyone,

First of all: I am not a member of this list, so any message you send
to the list(regarding this subject), please send them to me too.

When I do
smbclient //somemachine/someshare -U someusername

and then enter the correct password (Windows), then I get a smbclient
prompt. If then do ls, a directory listing is given. So far,
everything is ok. Now, I cd two directories down the tree, and then do
ls in that directory. In this state all smbclient gives me is a carrot
to indicate that it's busy. So, I don't get any timeout message or
other error and I also don't get any valid results. So, the question
is: what's wrong? I am on

FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE
smbclient version:Version 3.0.14a
Windows XP Professional with SP2

I also tried with Konqueror via smb://etc., but I got the same
resutls. I actually shared them on Windows, so there's no shares of
the sort C$ or D$ anymore(well, actually they still exist, but I don't
use them in either client).

So, the goal is to be able to read files that exist on the Windows
machine on the FreeBSD machine.

Regards, Ron