[Samba] samba client (NetApp->Solaris mount)

Dean Davis dean.davis at mbg-inc.com
Thu Jul 14 13:12:08 GMT 2005

I've found that mounting Windows/CIFS shares using CIFS rather than
SMBFS to be more likely to result in a reboot in the event of an
unanticipated network disconnect.

For example, I currently mount a few CIFS/Windows 2003 shares into
several Linux/Solaris Samba boxes, but if the Windows box reboots or
loses connectivity, it becomes difficult to re-mount using CIFS into the
Linux/Solaris file-system, whereas with SMBFS, I'm usually able to
re-mount with minimal effort.

Perhaps it's attributed to the maturity of SMBFS. Not sure. I'd like to
stick with CIFS, but it just seems to be unpredictable. I'm debugging a
failed connection right now, and my only option to gracefully re-mount
the failed share, is to reboot my Linux boxes, which is a no-no in
UNIX/Linux land.

Thanks,

--
Dean Davis,RHCE,MCSE,MCDBA,CCNA,Linux+
Sr. Network Engineer

--
The information in this email (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged.
Access to this e-mail by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.

If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution,
retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it (including any attachments) is
prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and
delete the message, all attachments, and any copies thereof from your system and destroy any printout thereof.

dangerous content and is believed to be clean.