[Samba] Page Accounting with Samba

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Jul 14 11:43:32 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:27:47PM +0200, Xavi León wrote:
> Hi all,
>    We have a Debian Sarge Box with Samba 3.0.14a and Cups 1.1.23-10
>    for sharing files and printers.
>    For printing we had cups configured to understand postscript files
>    produced by the postscript driver in the windows clients. With this
>    configuration we have no problems for doing Page Accounting with cups.
>    But we had a lot of problems with some documents (powerpoint, some
>    pdf's, etc.) because they made very big jobs.
>
>    So, we decided to put cups in Raw Mode, and use the PCL6 Driver
>    for the windows clients (and now, all documents are printed fast
>    and correctly). But now (obviously) cups don't process the file
>    (because it sends directly to the printer) and don't know how many pages
>    the people prints. But i can see on the printer queue in the windows
>    clients that the number of pages are shown.
>
>    And my question is: is there a way for making samba able to get this
>    number of pages (shown in the windows client queue)and make some page
>    accounting on the server side?

The complete solution to your problem :

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation

And if you're only interested in counting pages :

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/pkpgcounter/action_Presentation

  which natively supports PostScript (DSC compliant and binary), PDF,
  PCLXL (aka PCL6), PCL3/4/5 (depending on the driver), ESC/P2,
  DVI, TIFF, OpenOffice.org Writer and OpenOffice.org Impress.

hth

Jerome Alet