[Samba] Page Accounting with Samba

Xavi León Javier.Leon-Gutierrez at upc.edu
Thu Jul 14 10:27:47 GMT 2005

Hi all,
    We have a Debian Sarge Box with Samba 3.0.14a and Cups 1.1.23-10
    for sharing files and printers.
    For printing we had cups configured to understand postscript files
    produced by the postscript driver in the windows clients. With this
    configuration we have no problems for doing Page Accounting with cups.
    But we had a lot of problems with some documents (powerpoint, some
    pdf's, etc.) because they made very big jobs.

    So, we decided to put cups in Raw Mode, and use the PCL6 Driver
    for the windows clients (and now, all documents are printed fast
    and correctly). But now (obviously) cups don't process the file
    (because it sends directly to the printer) and don't know how many pages
    the people prints. But i can see on the printer queue in the windows
    clients that the number of pages are shown.

    And my question is: is there a way for making samba able to get this
    number of pages (shown in the windows client queue)and make some page
    accounting on the server side?

    Thx very much!

Xavi