[Samba] Slow to open Word document the first time

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu Jul 14 00:47:26 GMT 2005

Some things to try:

1. Delete any mapped drives to shares that are no longer accessible on
the network.
2. In "My Network Places" delete any cached shortcuts to shares that are
no longer accessible on the network.
3. Do the same for shortcuts on the desktop.
4. Using the registry editor, navigate to the following key:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
Delete any subkeys that refer to shares or servers that are no longer
accessible on the network.

Then, restart the computer and test.

I've experienced that the presence of these stale connections and
shortcuts can cause slowness of the system. It doesn't seem to have
anything to do with the presence or absence of a Samba server, as I've
seen the behaviour in both Windows and Novell-Windows hybrid
environments. Removing these stale connections seems to improve performance.

--Jonathan Johnson