[Samba] Overview help with SIDs

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 11:08:11 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I am migrating an NT4 PDC with around 30 accounts to our new FC4 server
Samba Version 3.0.14a-2

I have managed to get as far as the vampire grabbing the data but it
can't make the accounts:

<snip>
Creating account: DanielW
Could not create posix account info for 'DanielW'
Creating account: RMSXP031$
Could not create posix account info for 'RMSXP031$'
<snip>

I have managed to get the SID across to my Samba box.

I don't want to use LDAP as it is more complexity that I need.

My question basically is

If I was to just create accounts with the same usernames and passwords
(20 mins work) and copy their data across then shutdown NT4 and start
Samba and log into the domain will the XP clients be happy (because the
SID is the same) and use the same profile?

I know that it is a bit defeatist but it is DEAD simple!

TIA

Simon