[Samba] Problems uploading printer drivers

Greg Baker gbaker at cs.mun.ca
Tue Jul 12 14:15:56 GMT 2005

I'm having trouble uploading printer drivers using Windows XP's APW.  Since
I'm not sure where to look for a solution, perhaps someone here can help.

I've tried a few different procedures, but I'll only describe one here.

1) browse to the samba server in windows xp
2) double click on "Printers & Faxes"
3) right click on some blank window area and select "Server Properties"
4) click on the drivers tab
5) click on Add...
6) select the driver for the printer in question

Once I select the drivers it appears to upload them to the server.  However,
after the progress bar finishes I get the following error:

	The drivers list was not refreshed.  The driver data may be invalid.
	Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver.  Contact your
	administrator for help locating and installing a suitable driver.

On the samba box, I see the drivers in /var/lib/samba/drivers/X32X86/3 and if
I use rpcclient (enumdrivers) it lists the driver there.  Yet whenever I go
to the above mentioned "server properties" the driver list is empty.
Likewise, when I right click on a printer and try to assign this driver to a
printer the list is empty.

I have also tried right clicking on the printer and adding the driver to the
specific printer share, but get the same thing.  It always *seems* to work
but in the end the driver list is empty on the XP machines.

It seems to be a permission problem, but I'm not really sure.  If someone has
a clue where I can start troubleshooting I'd be grateful.  I already tried
turning up logging in samba but didn't get much help.  I tried a stack trace
to see if it was trying to write to a file somewhere but again didn't see
anything helpful.

Thanks to everyone..
Greg