[Samba] W2K Workstation not reading NTConfig.pol

Alejandro Hernández alejandro.hernandez at ibi.mju.es
Tue Jul 12 14:45:03 GMT 2005

You must make sure that, if path directive in the share is,
/srv/netlogon, both directories (or _any_directory_ in the way to
NTconfig.POL) have the 'x' bit on its permissions.

For example (and not complete :)

/srv $ ls -ld netlogon

rwxrwx--- owner group 2048 netlogon

will never let you read anything in Samba if your group is not 'group'.
Because the position bit (execution for files, position/placement for
directories) is not set and Samba needs it.

If instead of rwxrwx--- you, at least, have

rwx--x--x

Samba will let you read the NTconfig.POL like it or not :) We had tons
of incidencies regarding our user profiles and most of the time it was
due to it. Same applies to any other file or directory, like... [homes]!