[Samba] Re: Samba stops working after moving machines

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Mon Jul 11 20:38:21 GMT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 Arnold.O.Andrews at seagate.com wrote:

> It sounds like your client's new office location is now on a different
> subnet then your Samba server.  Are you using WINS?

I posted two follow ups..
The machines could see each other. The problem was the samba server didn't
have access to a DNS server.

> If not, try using "wins support = Yes" in the global section of your
> smb.conf file.  Restart your Samba server, then point all your clients to
> the IP address of your Samba server for their WINS configuration (under the
> TCP/IP properties --> advanced --> WINS tab).  You should only need 1 entry
> for the WINS server, make sure that "Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked
> on.

I tried all the options you listed, but until the Samba server (a freebsd
machine) did not have access to a DNS server nothing worked. Interestingly
enough even if the windows machines did not have access to a DNS server it
still worked.

I fail to see how Samba needs access to a DNS server in order to work,
specially since none of the clients have DNS entries.