[Samba] Samba needs DNS? (Was Samba stops working after moving machines)

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Mon Jul 11 20:09:28 GMT 2005

Does Samba needs DNS in order to work?
I moved some machines to a new office and for 2 days there was no
internet. I could not get Samba to work. Tried a number of settings
including setting it as WINS server.

I also tried "name resolve order = host" and entered all the machines
into the list (/etc/hosts).

It seems that once the Samba server could see the DNS servers it worked..
even when I had not changed the windows clients yet to see DNS.

Running Samba 3.0.14 in FreeBSD 5.4 stable.
Is it possible the problem has to do with the way samba was compiled
by the port?