[Samba] Samba LDAP timeout

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Mon Jul 11 16:07:05 GMT 2005

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> I've never used Ubuntu;  but I'd be surprised your Samba is really built
> without SSL support,  in fact,  I think it is really your libldap that
> is in question.
>
> Are you setting " ldap ssl = start_tls" ???  Don't use an "ldaps:///"
> URL.
>
> If you LDAP server is local just use ldapi:/// with is faster anyway and
> you don't need any encryption.

After some more research and talking to people at Ubuntu forums, it
turns out that (due to licensing issues?) Ubuntu OpenSSL packages are
way behind the current revision. libldap is likewise several revisions
behind. The solution is simply to build from scratch. Note that I would
recommend building from the official OpenLDAP tarballs rather than the
Ubuntu source packages because there are known security flaws in the old
sources Ubuntu uses. Oddly, Debian seems to be on top of the issue and
has the latest stable libldap in their repos.

Thanks for the help and advice,
Ian