[Samba] oplocks, QuickBooks (Samba 3)

Ryan Verner ryan at uanywhere.com.au
Mon Jul 11 03:28:57 GMT 2005

Hi there,

Can somebody please explain to me why Samba 3 requires 'oplocks = no' on
shares for programs like Quickbooks to operate properly with multiple
users, where Samba 2 didn't?

Without this option, Quickbooks will complain about file corruption when
a second user tries to open a file.

This option, however, makes the particular share that the option is
present in _very_ slow accessing from Windows clients.  Currently,
Quickbooks is getting its own share as a workaround (previously, some
setups may have had Quickbooks in a subfolder of another share).

I'm finding it _very_ difficult to convince some people to upgrade (from
Samba 2 on Debian Woody, to Samba 3 on Ubuntu Hoary) when to them, it
seems a step backwards - "It works fine shared from Windows".

Is there perhaps another way around this problem, or something fixed in
a later version of Samba that is present in Ubuntu Hoary
(3.0.10-1ubuntu3)?

Seeking advice,