[Samba] PDC/BDC without WINS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jul 10 18:21:33 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 21:39 -0600, Pablo Gainza Cirauqui wrote:
> Thanks a lot Andrew! We hadn't thought of that.
>
> Just one more question, would you be able to have users moving from
> one regional office to another without changing their domain
> configuration? Would they accept the local PDC as their own (if it had
> the same domain and SID)?

The idea with this setup is that each office has it's own PDC (from a
netbios perspective) but the domain name, SID etc is shared, so it
should 'just work'.  Things get more difficult with home directories and
roaming profiles, so while you would not allow WINS or other netbios
name resolution over the link, you would instead set 'dns proxy = yes'.
Then you allow access to the other servers with CIFS (so users can still
slowly get to their home dir/profile).

Andrew Bartlett