[Samba] WinXP Home & CUPS / Samba problem

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sun Jul 10 22:24:43 GMT 2005

I set up a Samba PDC for a client before discovering that their
workstations both had Windows XP Home installed. Not a big deal. I set
up Samba accounts for them and gave them access to the shares. I also
changed the CUPS security to None to give them access to a printer
connected to the server (also allowed connections from LAN). Things work.

Recently I added a new user account to one of the workstations. I also
set up and activated a Samba user account. Unfortunately it can't
connect to the Samba shares. Surprisingly it also can't connect to the
unsecured printer, which isn't even using Samba! It's connected via
http://<servername>:631/printers/<printername>.

I can print from two other accounts on the same workstation. I can also
connect to the shares from the new account when I tell Windows to
connect using one of the other accounts - just not the new account.

Any ideas anyone?