[Samba] changing domain password from XP Pro

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sat Jul 9 20:48:48 GMT 2005

I've set up NT domains from scratch and things work. However, in this
case I vampired the old settings over to my new Samba PDC from a W2K
server which I then removed from the network. Everything almost works,
except ...

The main thing is that I can't seem to change the domain passwords from
the XP Pro workstations. Normally you do Ctrl-Alt-Del and select change
password, then fill in the blanks. However, when I try, I get a long
wait - about 5 minutes - then "the system cannot change your password
now because the domain RAHIM-DALE is unavailable" (where RAHIM-DALE is
my domain name).

This happens on whatever XP Pro workstation I try. I've even tried
removing a domain account and recreating it, but the same thing happens.

Any ideas anyone?