[Samba] A shared space between students and their teacher !!!

alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma
Sat Jul 9 13:56:23 GMT 2005

Hi all,

Last week I implemented samba a sa file server and domain controller for more than 150 computers
(Win 2000 and XP). Everything is working just fine.

However, computer science faculty wanted a share for each course in which students can upload
their homework once done and teacher download them for correction. Yet, students can have the
right to write on that share but not delete the work of other students.

I did a test and works fine but students' work are delete-able by other users given the below
share configuration:

#A share shared by faculty and students
[Computer_Science]
   comment = Computer Courses
   path = /home/shares/computer_science
   public = no
   writable = yes
   write list = @cmp251a
   read only = no
   create mask = 0660
   directory mask = 0770
   force group = faculty

I created folders inside the path, for example, cmp340, cmp251, cmp450.

I gave right access to folders to the corresponding groups so that students can write on that
folders, but once the file is stored on that folder, faculty members can access it and download.
However, other users that belong to that group can access it also.

What should I do? Please Help!!!

regards,

--
Alaa Nizar