[Samba] Distributing custom driver config in TDB files

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Jul 8 19:01:58 GMT 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 12:49, Joanna Chan (joachan) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to populate customized settings of the drivers (printing
> related TDB files) from one Print Server to another?
>
> Here is the background:
> I am working on centralized driver distribution.  Besides pushing all
> the drivers from a central location to the edges, the administrator
> should also be allowed to customize the drivers settings and the
> distribution should send those customizations to the edges.
>
> I understand those settings are stored in the TDB files (ntprinters.tdb,
> ntforms.tdb, etc).  The HOW-TO guide shows how to initialize the valid
> Device Mode.  I wonder if there is any programmatically way to clone
> those valid settings to all the edges.
>
> Also, besides 'tdbdump' and 'tdbbackup', are there other tools to manage
> the TDB files?

Forget touching the physical tdb files. Read the new book "The Official
Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" Chapter 12, Section 12.8.4.
This book will hit the book stores around August. Meantime, you can download a
PDF from http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

Enjoy!

Cheers,
John T.