[Samba] small lan - novice - 2

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Jul 8 17:06:26 GMT 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 10:51, Serge Naggar wrote:
> Hi,
> armed with Samba-3 -by example I proceeded to test my 2 linux lan
> [suselinux pro 9.1 with Samba 3.0.9-2.6-suse].
>
> I followed instructions and made the smb.config as small as possiblw:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = snj
> server string = Samba Server
> guest ok = yes

Ok. This configuration means:

1) Use default security. That is "security = user"
2) Use the default setting "encrypt passwords = Yes"

	- In other words - you needs a Samba account and password.

So to make this work do:

	smbpasswd -a root

You will be promoted twice for a password.

You can add more users using:

	useradd -m 'username'
	passwd 'username'

The above two commands add a system user account. Now add the Windows (Samba)
user with:

	smbpasswd -a 'username'

> [orb]
> comment = removable 2.2 gb hd
> path = /orb
> browsable = yes
> read only = no
>
> However, I was stumped practically immediately as you can see:
>
> west:~ # smbclient -L localhost -U%
> Domain=[SNJ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-2.6-SUSE]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         orb             Disk      removable 2.2 gb hd
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
>         ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
> Domain=[SNJ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.9-2.6-SUSE]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>         WEST                 Samba Server
>
>         Workgroup            Master

If you stick "accurately" to the examples they do work. Let me know if
you still have problems.

Cheers,
John T.
--