[Samba] Strange winbind behavior with netbios name, perfect with ip address

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 15:18:14 GMT 2005

Hi all
This is a bit of a continuation of an old thread, which I have had no joy in
fixing. We have a samba server authenticating against a W2k3 server in
security = ADS mode.

If there is a file in a share, owned by user."domain users" and chmod 700, it
would normally be ONLY readable by that user.

This is true only if the user goes to \\ip.add.of.srv\share - if he goes to
\\servername\share, he cannot read the file.

If the user goes to \\servername\share and creates a file, it is owned by him,
so the server can distinguish the username.

If i set the permissions g+r on the file, then the user can see the file just
fine. Unfortunately so can anyone in "domain users" - this is not good for
files which need to be readable only for the user.

I am completely stumped, can anyone shed any light on this?

Setup:
SuSE Linux 9.0 (i586)
samba Version 3.0.14a-SUSE
winbindd Version 3.0.14a-SUSE