[Samba] PDC/BDC without WINS

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Fri Jul 8 06:43:12 GMT 2005

Pablo Gainza Cirauqui schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> Our company is trying to implement central Windows Domain at HQ and
> replicated across all its regional offices.  The implementation will
> have a PDC/LDAP-master on HQ and BDC/LDAP-slave on each regional
> office.
>
> In the hopes of saving bandwidth we are trying to avoid the use of
> WINS between WAN links.

I don't know how big your network is, but if it's up to 100 computers,
you'll probably save somethink like few kBytes per minute, if your
WAN/VPN doesn't use compression, when the workstations are being turned
on (after they are on, there should be less traffic).
If it does use compression, it should be even less.

Even if you use analog modems, it sholdn't be much.

You can also use broadcasts instead of WINS, but it will mean more
traffic than WINS.

--
Tomek
WPKG - automated software deployment with Samba