[Samba] remove wins entries - samba 3

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Fri Jul 8 00:59:50 GMT 2005

Eric Hines wrote:
> Geoff,
>
> Sorry about the hour; I didn't realize you were still up--I went to
> bed....

I'm in Australia, GMT+10. You think I'm a party animal?  Nah, I'm just at
work. ;-)

> A number of questions, and some updates.  I can find no evidence of
> active named logging, although I did find one log with named entries.
> In particular, what is the relevant log(s)?  There is no syslog or

The relevant log is whatever had instances of named logging to it, in your
case from below it would appear to be /var/log/messages.

> In the files below, why all the changes to mail from lserver1?  I
> thought from John's examples these were supposed to be the server
> name?

You had an MX record in there.  If you are going to learn to configure an
MTA then the mailserver shouldn't be a cname. And seeing as you had
mail.XXX.XXX CNAME'd to lserver1 I switched it around.  It is considered bad
form from what I have read, to use a CNAME for a mail server.

> In log /var/log/messages, named starts successfully, loads all the
> zone files OK, and it outputs the log entry "lame server resolving
> 'lserver1.test.biz' (in 'test.biz'?): 206.16.250.17#53, also ...
> .18#53 several times.  These are owned by a company in Barcelona,
> Spain.  There also are cases (fewer) of resolving

OK.  So your machine doesn't look to itself as being the master of that
domain.  John provides enough info for you to figure out why.

> According to log.nmbd, Samba server LSERVER1 and samba name server
LSERVER1
> repeatedly became domain master browser and local master browser,
> respectively, on 192.168.1.103.  tail -f log.nmbd also did not
> respond to an unsuccessful ping of lserver1.
>
> You asked whether I could tell my router/firewall not to send dhcp
> stuff to lserver1 only.  That would take a specific MAC address
> exclusion capability, and this router/firewall does not have that.

No, I asked if you could turn off the DHCP server on your router / firewall
completely and use the dhcp server on your samba server to deal with your
local networks needs.

> Can I, instead, tell lserver1 not to look to the router/firewall, but
> only to look to itself (/e.g./, via the dhcpd.conf or via lserver1's
> System

As people have said to you *many* times the easiest way to do this is by
using a static ip on your server.  USE A STATIC IP! CONFIGURE THINGS
STATICALLY.

> Settings|Network GUI, using the DNS and/or hosts tab)?  Or would that
> lock lserver1 into itself, never to get access to the Internet?
>
> I've done some other poking around in response to the DNS doc for
> which
> you sent me the URL last night, and noticed these things:
>     /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 is set as follows
> (emphasis added)
>        DEVICE=eth0
>        BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>        ONBOOT=yes
>        TYPE=Ethernet
>        DHCP_HOSTNAME=*lserver1*
> I have the same thing for eth1 (there are two NIC chips on the
> motherboard), except it's turned off.

This is why I said to you originally to use the gui.  It's easier to do it
with the GUI, then poke around your system and see what's been changed.  You
need to read more about the basic configuration of your Linux flavour before
you start on these tasks.  That way you would know exactly what files
control what configurations and where exactly to find them.

> or lserver1.test.biz--unknown host in both cases.

It looks like your server doesn't "think" it's the authoritative master for
your internal DNS.  Or something is wrong with your zone files.  Read the
DNS docs again. And again. And again........

Geoff